History of our school
Dr. Max Stibbe, a Dutch educationalist who co-founded the first Waldorf School in Pretoria in 1972, was also a founder of the first Waldorf School in The Netherlands 49 years previously. A dedicated and passionate educator, he taught all the first learners of our school well into his seventies, while also mentoring and inspiring our original teachers in the Waldorf Way.
After two years of renting Brooklyn Scout Hall, the school relocated to a lovely smallholding at Kameeldrift, north of Pretoria. The school was renamed, in Dr. Stibbe’s honour, after his death in 1973.
Max Stibbe Waldorf School found its permanent home on the farm at Mooiplaats, east of Pretoria, in 1977. The school continued growing with the addition of boarding facilities as well as the introduction of a daily bus service.
School management, often at loggerheads with the conservative government of the day, welcomed children of all races at the height of apartheid. Cultural and racial diversity has characterised this unique independent school ever since. The learners are well equipped to take on the challenges of our young democracy and assist in building a society that reflects our country’s true potential.
The class of 1988 was the first group of students who completed the full 12-year journey from grade one to matric. The school is fortunate enough to retain close ties with former students as many of them enrol their own children, while others have found their way into teaching, thereby inspiring future generations.
In 2003 the decision was taken to cease offering Grades 10-12. Children continued to receive the benefit of a Waldorf education, whilst being prepared to integrate seamlessly to conventional schools either at Grade 8 or Grade 10 level.
The school rebranded in 2016 as THE WALDORF SCHOOL at Rosemary Hill, to better identify with the international WALDORF educational system which has a proud and successful heritage, spanning almost 100 years and encompassing more than 1000 schools, kindergartens and training centres worldwide.
OFFICE NUMBER: 012 802 1175 ALTERNATIVE CONTACT NUMBER: 083 410 0392
OFFICE HOURS: 07:00 - 15:00 ADDRESS: Plot 147 & 148, Mooiplaats, Pretoria